Saturday, October 17, 2009

Some Thoughts on Crafting Fiction

Like any idea you conceive in life, fiction starts and ends in the mind; first in the conscious, then the subconscious, and finally digging deeper into the labyrinth of ageless wisdom; the subconscious, the ever-lasting fountain of imagination and inspiration.

I will not attempt here to teach you how to write fiction because quite frankly I do not believe it can be done with modular instruction. Crafting invented stories and converting them into novels and novellas is a highly personalized art form which writers approach in a myriad of disparate ways.

What I will do on the other hand is provide you with some personal thoughts on crafting fiction; thoughts derived from my own experience.

WHY I WRITE FICTION

While I have a preference for non-fiction I also write fiction with a modest but nonetheless marked degree of success.

Some writers take one route, some the other; I take both - but only after I managed to master the first: non-fiction.

Why should this be so?

I discovered early on in my writing career that coming to terms with the disciplines of crafting non-fiction dramatically improved my ability to create fiction and to attract proposals for publication of my increasing output.

So why do I write fiction?

Quite simply, to amuse myself, to stretch my reach, to challenge my imagination - and when my offerings are published and other people tell me they like what I create, so much the better.

Having proposals for works of fiction accepted for publication is never easy but with contracts in my pocket for all ten outpourings to date, I am not complaining…

HOW I WRITE FICTION

Drawing on the disciplines of one genre I apply them to the other - and so - my golden rule on crafting fiction is to operate solely within the confines of what I know. That is why before tackling a fictional project I visit my subconscious to establish levels of interest, knowledge, and above all expertise.

Functioning in scenarios where I feel comfortable, relaxed, confident, and at ease makes writing fiction a joyous occasion and provides me with a sense of fulfilment.

http://how-to-write-cutting-edge-fiction.com

No comments: