Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Where to Look for Your Next Writing Project When You're Stuck for Ideas

When my first book “Starting Your Own Business” was published way back in 1995, I thought that was it. I reckoned I’d never write another one.

But I was wrong

This book has enjoyed many reprints, multiple editions, and proceeded over the years to generate another seven disparate titles from the same topic.

Two years ago I completed the first draft manuscript for a commemorative 4th edition marking a decade in print.

It was accepted by the publisher and hit wide bookshelves in the autumn of 2005.

With updated content and several topical new chapters added, the ball
started rolling all over again and in the process attracted a new breed of readers.

With that project out of the way, I was stumped where to look for the next.

I dug deep within myself and asked what else do I know about?

I know how to start, manage and expand small businesses; I know about advising anyone on how to run an internet business from home, shop or office;
I know how to instruct others on the subject of writing for profit, but what else do I know?

Then it dawned on me…

I also know how to enjoy a rewarding and fulfilling retirement.

And so I embarked on my new task, researched the topic, completed the text, submitted a proposal, and as a result “Your Retirement Masterplan” (ISBN 1857039874) was published in October 2004, became an instant bestseller, and one year on is still ranking at No.2 out of 3356 competitive titles on Amazon.co.uk.

But I didn’t let the matter rest there

I set about drafting a fresh proposal for a sequel “How to Earn Money in Retirement”.

It too was accepted for publication in April 2006 by How To Books (ISBN 1845281128).

And so it goes on…

Ongoing success in having my proposals accepted prompted me to pursue another topic that has been close to my heart for many years: mindpower.

The problem was I could never find a proven niche into which I could fit it with a reasonable chance of publication – but now I had discovered the perfect fit.

My proposal for “Maximizing Mindpower to Enrich Your Retirement” has just been accepted by the same publisher and will be available online and offline during the second quarter of 2007.

The moral is persistence…

Dig deep within yourself. You know much more than you think you know.

If you have been struggling to break into authorship, take heart…

Persist and you will succeed.

http://1st-creative-writing-course.com

No comments: